Monday, July 13, 2009

On being "A Knitter"

So, a few months ago, a friend of mine told me I was "the coolest knitter he knew." Now, I know he knows other people that knit, including his wife. I doubt that he'd say I was cooler than his wife, so that lent a discussion with another friend about the difference between someone who knits and "a knitter." I asked her what she meant, and she said, "You don't just knit. You're a knitter. It's part of who you are." Which is an interesting statement, as 18 years ago when I met this friend, I wasn't a knitter. I was on hiatus. I was in college and didn't "have time" for knitting. And knitting wasn't "cool." (I beg to differ now, as knitting is quite possibly more popular than it's ever been.)

So, what makes me a knitter? Well, maybe it's the ridiculous stash of yarn that's spilling out all throughout my house. Maybe it's the vast collection of needles I have acquired, both inherited, and on my own. Maybe it's that I've currently got several WIPs (works in progress) ~ 2 dolls, 3 hats, 1 blanket, and an almost forgotten sweater for a doll of my daughter's. Maybe it's because it's a rare day that has me without my needles, working on a project. Maybe it's because I take my knitting with me "just in case" I'll have a spare few moments to knit. Maybe it's because I have a blog devoted to knitting projects. Maybe it's because I belong to Ravelry, an online knitting and crocheting community. Maybe it's because.... who knows. It's probably a combination of all of those and a few more for good measure.

Whatever the case, I know she's right. Somewhere over the years, I went from being someone who knits to a knitter, and I'm proud to say it. :)

I even blogged about it on my "regular" blog... here: http://troismommy.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/labor-of-love (You'll have to copy and paste, as the link isn't working here for some reason.)

No comments: